Backgroung

Thursday 22 September 2011

Paint Fusion Poppies at Cardinal Colours Retreat 2011

Jill wanted some ideas for make and takes at the retreat and I had seen the paint fusion stamps and paints and really fancied having a go. 
I bought the things back from a crop and watched the DVD - which, incidentally, says the the poppies are "more advanced class" - typical me!
These are the results of my first attempts.


I was quite pleased with the results but felt the stark white background was too harsh.
I thought of trying the crackle backgrounds etc on the DVD but didn't really have the time to further that idea. I then saw on Create and Craft some mountboard shapes by Sheena Douglas which look really nice - hearts and tags so I ordered them. This set me thinking and I came up with the plan for the retreat - make bookmark sized rectangles on mountboard.
Lynn got an A1 sheet at Hobbycraft for me which Robert then cut to size.
I spent Sunday morning stamping them as below.


As the mountboard is creamy colour it gives a better background.
I painted in the poppies and leaves and allowed to dry.
The edges were inked with a brown chalk pad then I made a couple of masks with post-it notes for the flower heads.
Once dry, I added the masks then stamped over the background with "early espresso" ink pad from Stampin' Up and an old text stamp I had. I blotted the stamp first to give a lighter image.
I then added a couple of swirls with "rich razzleberry" by SU also blotted first.


This is one of the heart shapes I made in the same way.


Stamps, Paints, Brushes and DVD all available from Cardinal Colours along with other exciting products.

I now have some Christmas stamps so will be making more soon (I hope!).

Thanks to Jill for organising yet another fabulous retreat - if you went along, I hope you enjoyed it too.
Stop by and say Hi!

TFL
xxx

3 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Thanks for this m&t, I really enjoyed it, though I must finish it off. Will have to play more with Mum's paint fusion :)

Anita said...

These are absolutely beautiful Linda.....they look like you have been painting for a long time, really gorgeous!
Yep, couldn't agree more....the retreat was brilliant!..xx

Lynn said...

These look lovely, always useful to learn something new. I love the way you adapted the original idea with the text stamp.